Seed Shul was established in 2013 by Rabbi Avi Lazarus under the guidance of Rabbi Grunfeld and Rabbi Herman. Family membership has grown year on year, and numbers have more than doubled since 2016 under the dynamic leadership of Rabbi and Rebbetzin Birnbaum.
The shul caters to the entire community, primarily drawing its membership from young families at different stages of their Jewish journey. The shul is funded by its members, as well as through generous donations from its supporters and from Seed.
A huge renovation completed in 2018 expanded the premises of the shul, providing space to hold simchas in the shul hall. The shul held its first Hachnosas Sefer Torah in November 2018 and was privileged to hold a second one in May 2021.
The shul holds regular Shabbos and Yom Tov davening services, followed by a well-attended meat or sushi kiddush. There are also six weekly children’s services, a Gemora shiur on Shabbos afternoon followed by Seuda Shlishis, and a wide range of programmes on offer catering for different ages and life stages, including:
- Sunday morning davening followed by breakfast and power shiur
- Spiritual Spa monthly talk for women
- Teen girls group
- Gingerbread Storytime
- Guided Prayer Class during services with Rabbi Edwards
- Wiser Women with Rebbetzin Tehilla Birnbaum
- Parent + Child Barmitzvah/Batmitzvah Israel trips lead by Rabbi Birnbaum and Rebbetzin Dove respectively