The Chevra Machzike Hadath was founded in 1891 and was made up principally of members of the Machzike Shomrei Shabbat Synagogue in Booth Street, Spitalfields and the North London Beth Hamedrash in Newington Green Road.
The first Rav of the community was Rabbi Avraham Aba Werner (1837-1912). He was succeeded by Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak HaKohen Kook who was Rav from 1916 until he left in 1919 to become Chief Rabbi of Eretz Yisroel. The search for a successor took a long time and it was not until 1932 that Rabbi Yechezkel Abramsky was appointed. He left to become senior Dayan of the London Beth Din in 1935.
As the Jewish population migrated from the East End post-war, the membership declined but it was not until 1975 that the Spitalfields premises were eventually sold. In 1956 a branch of the synagogue had been opened in 215 Golders Green Road in the home of Rabbi Simcha Lopian (1900-71) who was appointed as Rav. With the gradual decline of the attendances in the East End through the 1960s this branch functioned as the Machzike Hadath Synagogue.
When the new building was opened in 1983, Rabbi Dr. Ephraim Yehuda Wiesenberg (1910-2000) served as Rabbi of the community. He was succeeded in 1986 by the current incumbent, Rabbi Chaim Zundel Pearlman, a great-grandson of the famed Kamenitzer Maggid, the first and only maggid of the Federation of Synagogues. The Machzike Hadath became fully affiliated to the Federation of Synagogues in 1999.
1-4 Highfield Road
London NW11 9LU